Thank you for using the app. Need technical assistance? Don't worry. We're here to help you. And we're not robots! Please read the information below and if you still need to reach a human, see the bottom of this page for our support email.
Q. The interactives are not working. After loading, I see only a blank image.
A. If you're using version 1.1 of the app (released December 3, 2012), please update to version 1.2. The update to version 1.2 will fix this issue. (To find out which version you have, open the iPad Settings and tap on "General." Then tap on "Usage." Find the Robots app on the list and tap on it. The next screen will show you the version.) If you're still having problems, contact us—see support email at the bottom of this page.
Q. The videos play, but there's no sound. Sound works fine in other apps. What's going on?
A. Some users have reported problems with sound in the app, and it appears that this is an issue with iOS 6.0.1. In some cases, the iPad is not properly maintaining the status of the Side Switch (that switch that can be used to control either Mute or Lock Rotation and is located near the volume button), leaving the device in a muted state no matter what you do. Here's how to fix the issue:
1. Open the iPad Settings and tap on "General."
2. Find the "Use Side Switch to:" function.
• if the "Use Side Switch to:" function is set to "Mute": Then change it to "Lock Rotation" instead. Next reopen the ROBOTS app and play a video to see if there's sound; if there's no sound, double click the iPad's Home button to bring up the task bar. Slide your finger to the right over the task bar to reveal the music control (also brightness and mute function). Then make sure the Mute button (the one with the speaker icon) is NOT set to mute mode. That should clear the incorrect mute status and allow the ROBOTS app to have sound again.
• if the "Use Side Switch to:" function is set to "Lock Rotation": Then change it to "Mute" instead. Next reopen the ROBOTS app and play a video to see if there's sound; if there's no sound, toggle the Side Switch and play the video again. That should clear the incorrect mute status and allow the ROBOTS app to have sound again.
3. Once sound is working, you can go back to the iPad Settings and set the "Use Side Switch to:" function to the option you prefer ("Mute" or "Lock Rotation").
4. If you're still having problems, contact us—see support email at the bottom of this page.
Q. I'm trying to listen to an audio interview, but when I tap the play button I don't hear any sound.
A. If you're using a third- or fourth-generation iPad, please check the Side Switch. When the Side Swich is enabled, it might mute some of the iPad's audio. Note that the Side Switch may not mute all iPad audio: You might still be able to hear sound from videos, for example. If you're able to hear sound from videos in the app but not the audio interviews, your Side Switch is probably enabled. (Read more on Apple's support page .)
Q. I tried to play a video but I'm getting an error message.
A. The videos shown in the app are hosted on YouTube. When we launched the app, we made sure that all videos worked. But since the app was released, YouTube users who had uploaded videos may remove them or YouTube may block them for one reason or another. When that happens, the video won't play in the app (or anywhere else, for that matter). We'll eliminate those videos from the app when we release an update.
Q. I'm not able to play any videos at all. YouTube videos in other apps work fine.
A. If you aren't able to play any videos in the ROBOTS app, you probably have restrictions enabled on your iPad. To fix the issue, open the iPad Settings and tap on the "General" button. Then find an option called "Restrictions." Tap on it and on the next screen make sure that "YouTube" is set as "ON." Videos should work in the ROBOTS app now.
Q. Can I see the 360-degree views and other interactive images in full screen?
A. Yes! If you’re using a second-, third-, or fourth-generation iPad or the new iPad mini, just tap the Full Screen button below the images. Unfortunately the first-generation iPad doesn’t have enough memory to show full screen interactives, so the Full Screen button is disabled.
Q. I like the audio clips of roboticists talking about their creations. How do I find all robots with audio?
A. Just type “hasaudio” into the search box, and the results will show every robot that has audio.
Q. The app crashed on me...
A. We’re sorry to hear that. Please reopen the app and return to the feature you were trying to use. It should work normally now.
If you’re still having technical problems with the app, please send us an email: